Every now and then a new place opens and resets the standard: The Gulating Pub at Amadores beach is one of those places. Great beer, a lovely design, a bright and spacious terrace and pub area, and friendly, international staff that go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
Gulating Pub Amadores: The Story Behind The Smiles
The Gulating company is an established craft beer and pub company from Norway with over 30 beer shops and five pubs across the country. Now it has opened the first of a string of Gran Canaria Gulating Pubs right by the sand at Amadores beach. It opened in October 2017 and is already attracting lots of people drawn to its light and airy premises, wide selection of beer and a menu that's perfect for beachside eating; fresh tasty and well-priced.
The name Gulating is Norwegian and comes from the old word for the Norwegian tax authority: The Gulat used to levy its tax in beer (such a civilised idea). Taxpayers then had to make the beer and hand it over or they were exiled to Iceland where alcohol was prohibited. The Gulating Pub at Amadores beach has stayed faithful to its Norwegian roots with a logo based on a dragon's head from a viking longship.
It's Scandinavian roots also shine through when you look at how the pub is designed. It's on a corner so its light and airy and the tables have plenty of space between them. It has an open-plan pub on the inside of the walkway complete with pub bar and even a big sofa. To us, Gulating Amadores is by far the most attractive bar or restaurant on the Amadores beachside and we'll be using it all the time.
Where is the Gulating Pub Amadores
Gulating Amadores is towards the western end of Amadores beach just behind the patch of rocks that appears on the shore at low tide. From the sand, look out for the sign with the two dragon's heads.
Gulating Pub Amadores on Google maps.
About the beer at Gulating
When a pub starts as a beer shop, you know that it's going to get its drinks right and Gulating stocks over 100 different beers with seven on draught. Back in Norway it works with local craft brewers and it brings the same ethos to Gran canaria with a wide selection of brews.
The staff all know their beer so do feel free to ask for recommendations.
Why you should go to the Gulating Pub at Amadores
There are a beach load of good reasons: Here's the top seven...
- It's open, bright and spacious so you feel relaxed and have plenty of space to move around.
- It's a proper pub with a bar, sofas, beer-barrel tables and a wide selection of draft and bottled beers. It does a good range of cocktails (the ones we've tried were excellent) and even has a section of beer cocktails.
- The range of cocktails (the ones we've tried were excellent) and beer cocktails.
- The food is original as well as tasty and well presented. It's a step up from the standard grub you get in most Amadores restaurants. We had prawn tacos, nachos with chilli beef and dips, and drank the draft pilsner. All we need to say is that we'll be back to try the rest of the menu ASAP. Other people who have already tried the food recommended the burgers and the sliders.
- There's no tout trying to pull you in; Gulating relies on its attractive design and friendly staff to make you want to sit down.
- The service is efficient and friendly with staff that speak a wide range of languages.
- It doesn't have televisions blaring out distracting football games or other sports.
Wednesday Beer tasting
As if you needed an excuse to hang around by Amadores beach and drink beer at sunset, Gulating does a weekly beer tasting event on Wednesdays between 18.00-20.00. For just 10 euros you try four different beers and learn how they are made. Beer, fun and sunsets!
For info on other Gulating Pub Amadores events, such as Octoberfest and Christmas dinners, see their Facebook page.